Motivation can be described as the source which inspires someone's specific actions. At work, how well motivated your employees are to carry out their duties and roles will have a significant influence on how your organization functions, your profits and even sickness levels, it can make or break your company.
Stress can have an enormous affect on motivation, motivation can influence stress. A Catch 22 situation could go unnoticed.
Do not think that pay alone will lead to job satisfaction. There are other very crucial ingredients to motivation which the manager with good leader ship qualities considers in order to grow and maintain their healthy business whilst ensuring that their staff help achieve the goals of the company.
So start off by applying these 9 pointers to how you think your company is stacking up in the areas known to motivate workers to achieve their best:
• You offer workers adequate amounts of responsibility
• You give recognition to your workers of the work that they do
• Your company offers the possibility of ongoing advancement and growth
• The work itself is satisfying (I know there is no way to really measure this but would you want to do the job as it is at the moment?)
• Pay and job security issues do not leave workers dissatisfied
• Interpersonal relationships with colleagues and bosses are not impacting on their wellbeing and you have systems to deal with issues such as conflict or harassment
• Working conditions are conducive to wellbeing; this can include spaces to make refreshments as well as standard health and safety requirements
• Company policies and procedures do not inappropriately challenge people's values and are there to support them and get the job done
Critically look at the list to see if these things are in place or are some of these things missing? Which ones are leading to job dissatisfaction and or stress for your workers. Then in supervision set them as goals to work towards. In some cases there may be changes which cannot be met then; career advice, training or other actions may be needed.
The Impact of Stress on Your Role as A Manager
It can be helpful to you as a manager if you can identify and analyze the stresses which impact on your job and role as a manager. So why don't you take these first actions towards being an incredible manager with leadership qualities by applying the above to you as well as your employees?
The outcome of this work will enable you to see insights into, How well motivated are you? How well motivated are the workers you manager? How does stress impact on your motivation? To what degree stress is impacting on your staff's motivation at work?
Gradle Gardner Martin is a Social Worker, Trainer and Author.
Her new book "Inducing Wellbeing In The Work Place: A Workers Guide To Stress Management" is available to buy from her website http://www.myworkplacewellbeing.com and at all book stores.
Gradle publishes a weekly newsletter and free downloads on Work Place Wellbeing at http://www.stressfreecaringinthecity.org